Graduating high school is a very important milestone for all students. This is especially true for students with disabilities as they move from high school to adult life.
- What options and supports are available for students after high school?
- How do students plan for going to work, independent living and post-secondary education and training?
These questions are part of the transition planning process.
The Aging and Disability Resource Center of Northwest Wisconsin assists with the transition process of disabled youth to adulthood starting at 17.5 years of age and offers a single entry point for information and assistance on issues affecting students and adults with disabilities regardless of income.
Services Provided at the ADRC include but are not limited to:
- Help applying for benefits or dealing with a denial of benefits
- Disability benefits counseling
- Information and access to publicly funded long term care programs and options counseling if eligible
ADRC services can be provided in person, via telephone or through a home visit. Professionals involved in transition planning may use the Student Transition to the ADRC form.
Living My Dream: Living My Dream is a guide developed by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services that provides information to the student, family and teacher on transition planning, publicly funded long term care, integrated employment and helping the student achieve personal goals after high school.
Click here for the Living My Dream Manual. Read it cover to cover or simply use it as a resource for information on specific topics such as Social Security or Integrated Employment.
A County Community on Transition (CCoT) is a regional community that meets regularly to identify issues, barriers, supports and solutions to assisting students with disabilities make a successful transition based on student post-secondary goals related to training or education, employment and independent living. The key to the CCoT success is sharing the work, establishing effective communication and new relationships to better work together.
The ADRC of NW Wisconsin has teamed up with area providers and transition professionals to form a CCoT in Polk and Burnett Counties. We work together to plan and provide educational opportunities for teachers and parents, in regards to resources available to assist with the various steps to transition planning. Click here to download the CCoT Brochure.
The ADRC of NW WI and the Polk/Burnett CCoT has developed multiple resources including the “Decision Tree”. This tool was created for transition professionals to use as a quick reference for themselves, as well as a tool to use when working with parents and students providing a good visual of the transition process. Click here to download the Decision Tree.
Additional Polk/Burnett CCoT Tools for Parents and Students
- Transition Decision Tree for Parents
- Parents Key Contacts List
- Now that I’m 18: Key Contact List for Young Adults Living with a Disability
- Online Transition Resource for Parents and Students
Visit the following sites for more information about CCoTs and transition planning:
Polk and Burnett CCoT Members:
- ADRC of NW Wisconsin: www.adrcnwwi.org
- Aurora Community Services: https://www.auroraservices.com/vocational
- IRIS (Include, Respect, I Self-Direct): http://www.wisconsin-iris.com/
- Center for Independent Living for Western Wisconsin: http://www.cilww.com/
- North County Independent Living: http://www.northcountryil.com/
- Division of Vocational Rehabilitation: http://dwd.wisconsin.gov/dvr/
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College: http://www.witc.edu/
- Workforce Resource: http://www.workforceresource.org/polk.html
- CESA #11: http://www.cesa11.k12.wi.us/
- Wisconsin Statewide Parent-Educator Initiative: http://wspei.org/
- Northwest CEP Inc.: http://www.nwcep.org/
- Sonya’s Employment Options
- Endeavors Adult Development Center, Inc.
- Diversified Services Inc.
- Polk County Department of Children and Families
- Burnett County Health and Human Services Department-Children Long Term Support
- Great Lakes Inter-Tribal Council Vocational Rehabilitation for Native Americans
- St Croix Chippewa Indians of Wisconsin
- Clear Lake School District
- Osceola School District
- Amery School District
- Clayton School District
- Unity School District
- Siren School District
- Webster School District
- Luck School District
- St Croix Falls School District
- Frederic School District
- Grantsburg School District
If you are interested in joining our team please contact the ADRC of NW Wisconsin at 877-485-2372 or by email at email@example.com.
Upcoming CCoT Meetings
We meet the second Thursday of the month during the school year-October to May. If you have any questions related to helping a student transition into adult services and program do not hesitate to give the ADRC of NW WI a call at 877-485-2372. In addition, if you have suggestions for the Polk/Burnett CCoT structure or would like to be included on the listserv, please contact the Kysa Marten at the ADRC at 877-485-2372.
Next Meeting: 2020/2021 School
Opening Doors Planning Guides (provided by Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction)