Youth Transition

SKIP TO: ADRC Services | CCoT | Additional Transition Resources

Graduating high school is a very important milestone for all students. This is especially true for students with disabilities as they move from high school to adult life.

  • What options and supports are available for students after high school?
  • How do students plan for going to work, independent living, and post-secondary education and training?

These questions are part of the transition planning process.

ADRC Youth Transition Services

The Aging and Disability Resource Center of Northwest Wisconsin assists with the transition process of disabled youth to adulthood starting at 17.5 years of age and offers a single entry point for information and assistance on issues affecting students and adults with disabilities regardless of income.

Services Provided at the ADRC include but are not limited to:

  • Help applying for benefits or dealing with a denial of benefits
  • Disability benefits counseling
  • Information and access to publicly funded long term care programs and options counseling if eligible

ADRC services can be provided in person, via telephone, or through a home visit. Professionals involved in transition planning may use the Student Transition to the ADRC form.

Living My Dream: Living My Dream is a guide developed by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services that provides information to the student, family, and teacher on transition planning, publicly funded long-term care, integrated employment, and helping the student achieve personal goals after high school.

Click here for the Living My Dream Manual. Read it cover to cover or simply use it as a resource for information on specific topics such as Social Security or Integrated Employment.

Transition Night: Looking Beyond High School

Polk/Burnett CCoT

A County Community on Transition (CCoT) is a regional community that meets regularly to identify issues, barriers, supports, and solutions to assisting students with disabilities make a successful transition. This is based on student post-secondary goals related to training or education, employment, and independent living. The key to the CCoT success is sharing the work, establishing effective communication, and new relationships to better work together.

The ADRC of Northwest Wisconsin has teamed up with area providers and transition professionals to form a CCoT in Polk and Burnett Counties. We work together to plan and provide educational opportunities for teachers and parents, in regards to resources available to assist with the various steps to transition planning. Click here to download the CCoT Brochure.

The ADRC of NW WI and the Polk/Burnett CCoT has developed multiple resources including the “Decision Tree”. This tool was created for transition professionals to use as a quick reference for themselves, as well as a tool to use when working with parents and students providing a good visual of the transition process. Click here to download the Decision Tree.

Additional Polk/Burnett CCoT Tools for Parents and Students

Visit the following sites for more information about CCoTs and transition planning:

Polk and Burnett CCoT Members:

If you are interested in joining our team please contact the ADRC of NW Wisconsin at 877-485-2372 or by email at

If you have any questions related to helping a student transition into adult services and the program do not hesitate to give the ADRC of NW WI a call at 877-485-2372. In addition, if you have suggestions for the Polk/Burnett CCoT structure or would like to be included on the listserv, please contact Kysa Marten at the ADRC at 877-485-2372.

Additional Transition Planning Resources

Supported Decision-Making Toolkit

Opening Doors Planning Guides (provided by Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction)

Special Needs Trusts for People Living with a Disability